Eyes Wide Open
It’s a new day, a new year and a new opportunity to be our very best selves. It’s as if we get to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch. That’s pretty amazing isn’t it?
For me, launching this site has been a complete labor of love. After two (yes two) failed attempts at re-creating my website with designers, I decided to take it into my own hands and do it myself! It was certainly a learning process but one that I’m so happy I went through with. It felt good to take the control into my own hands. I didn’t have to feel guilty when I requested changes or feel bad that I didn’t like someone else’s ideas. I could tweak to my heart’s desire! So here we are starting the new year off with a place where I can finally share my thoughts, my inspo and my yummy recipes most importantly! I’m so thrilled at the opportunity for another way to connect with people worldwide and share my passion for all things healthy and all things that you fill you up in the best way!
My goal for this year to light up as many people as I can through support and connection! I want to be here for you with tips, tricks and real life talk. So with that in mind, let’s talk about the dark side of the New Year. It’s always spoken about like cotton candy dreams and marshmallow fluff but the truth is that the New Year can be totally overwhelming too. What if you don’t know what your goals for 2017 are? January 1st is just like any other day. Everything doesn’t magically change when we clink our glasses at midnight! If only it was like we see in the fairy tales!
I’ve put together a few tricks to help you start your New Year off right if you are looking for a little guidance or direction. I highly recommend taking a little quiet time to yourself on the 1st so that you can get clear on your vision.
- Take a look back at 2016. We can't move forward without looking back for just a moment. What went well and what didn't? Acknowledge what you loved and what you didn't. That's how we learn. We've got to acknowledge situations that didn't go the way we wanted so that we can make sure not to make those same mistakes again. And we MUST acknowledge the good stuff! What did you love about 2016? Even just one thing. That's what you need to do more of in 2017! Write these things down so that you can be clear on them, good and bad.
- So now that you've written down the good and the bad, let's shift our focus over to the good. Whatever we focus on expands, so we must focus on the good if we want to expand that and make it more abundant. From this place of good, we can start to focus on our intentions for 2017.
- Write your intentions down. You can have intentions in many different categories. Love, Relationships, Spirituality, Career, School etc. Whatever resonates with you is right. But I do suggest working on your intentions from a place of positivity. Write from a place of what you will do or who you want to be rather than from a place of what you won't do or who you don't want to be. Always keep the intention coming from a place of positive intention.
- I like to keep my intentions somewhere special. Then at some point I may go back to them and be reminded of what I intended. There will always be some things that are totally in line with what I intended to create and that is the most beautiful feeling! Then there will be some spots where I missed the mark and I get reminded that I need to refocus my intention in those areas. But seeing those spots where I was able to bring it into action give me great encouragement. I’m reminded of my inner power and strength when I put my mind to something so I commit to continuing the plan.
- Remember that life is a journey, not a destination. It takes 21 days to break a habit. Don’t expect change overnight. You have to commit to consistent practice at anything you do in order to see results. Make your mind up to do it and then keep trying. You may fall off here and there and that’s ok too. That’s part of the process but every time you get back on, you arrive a little bit stronger. So don’t beat yourself up. Try to learn from your mistakes, and try again.
- Don’t settle with the original list of intentions that you made. They will change and shift and evolve. Your goals will shift and you will need to realign your intentions. So check in with them and shift when necessary.
For me intentions are a daily practice. I set them every time I practice yoga and they have almost become like a prayerful moment for me. I look forward to them because they remind me to be present in what I’m doing and why I’m doing it. One of the biggest questions that I ask myself daily is “How will this choice serve me?” It makes it very easy to do the right thing when asked that question. Will this serve me in a positive or negative way? Will holding this grudge or being angry serve me? Will complaining about someone serve me? Will gossiping about someone serve me? It makes my choices much simpler and my intentions that much clearer. When I let go of the things that don’t serve me, I have so much more room to focus on my intentions and moving forward in a positive light.
So as we move into this new year filled with opportunity, I beckon you to get busy intention setting and let go of the things that don’t serve you for 2017. Henry Ford once said, “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you are right.” I believe that we can truly do anything we put our minds to. I see it happen daily with my students and with my Get Toned friends around the world. Get clear on your vision and go create the life that is everything you want!
I’m super excited for this new part of our journey together! Feel free to leave kind comments and requests for topics you want to discuss or recipes you’d like me to share and I will do my best to honor your requests. Thanks for visiting my new site and I hope it will be the first of many visits to come!
Let's have a blissful and abundant 2017!!!